Which is the best water hardness test kit in the market? Our water hardness test strips accurate? Is there any water hardness test kit that offers complete information? If you one of them looking for an answer, then this guide is for you.
Most people get tired of ensuring clean and safe water for their household in a costly way. A water hardness test kit can be a crucial addition to get free from this common problem, especially at an affordable price. Even if you want to track water quality often to keep it clean for a long time, a water hardness test kit is very effective.
This guide has come out with ten top-class water hardness test kits that are the best in the market and ready to offer consistently reliable and accurate results.
What is water hardness tester?
The water hardness tester is the ideal process to figure out your water condition. In this recent era, multiple water hardness tester is using for a different water source. You can use testing stripes, testing kit or digital device for water hardness. Each of the testers has come with some standard parameter. Those parameters will let you know about the water hardness.
What you should consider choosing a water hardness test kit
Here are common but crucial tips for buying a testing kit from the market. We can ensure that you can choose the best quality hardness test kit after following the below tips.
It is essential to make sure about the water supply sources before buying a kit. It is good to know that testing kits, stripes, and devices will not work the same for all water sources. So, think first if you are going to test from a public or private source. If the water source is nearest to the chemical factory areas, use a high-quality improved testing kit. On the contrary, you can use general stripes or kit for private water supply.
As an experience fewer general people, you just need to go with a testing kit with easy procedures. Besides, everybody loves to get a quick result. So, choose a testing kit with easy procedure and quick result.
The testing kit would be a difference depending on the figuring out the contaminants. There has some kit that can figure out fewer contaminants because this type of kits has not enough powerful technology to figure out the varieties of contaminants.
You can also get some higher level of testing kit which can test for almost all contaminants like chlorine, calcium, magnesium, copper and iron. So be careful about this factor.
It is commonly said that water testing kits should be used every few days. Because the Water is constantly changing, if you pick up a testing stripes package with a good number of stripes, it will be better. So, make sure about the number of stripes.
Testing kit efficiency:
Testing kit efficiency refers to the power of water testing from different sources of Water. You might have a swimming pool, aquarium and drinking water sources in your home. Since the kit efficiency would be different for different water supply sources, we recommend considering this factor. Moreover, you have to consider that Where to use the hardness kit? Which contaminants can be used to test? And analyzing and result showing time.
Our top picks for 2021
- Best for the budget– Baldwin Meadows test kit
At a lower cost, this testing kit offers an instant result that ranges from 0-425 mg/l
Its repeatable testing ability, allow to check water hardness frequently and help be aware of water changes.
- Best overall– JNW Direct Water Total Hardness Test Strips
At an affordable price, it offers 150 strips and an accurate result within 15 seconds.
- Best for long-lasting use– Pro Water Hardness Test Kit
Allow to use the unused strip after a long time and help carry out measurement up to 10 months.
- Best for advanced use– HoneForest Water Quality Tester
With a big backlit LCD and auto-lock function, this testing kit offers accurate result at various temperatures.
- Best for pools– JNW 7-in-1 Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips
This multifunctional test kit offers total information to keep the pool water safe and clean.
- Best for homes– JNW Direct Drinking Water Test Strips 15 in 1
Testing 15 different parameters this testing kit helps monitor all household water types to keep them clean and clear.
- Best for drinking water– Well Water Test Kit for Drinking Water
Original USA based product, quick testing power, including a PFD of the user manual
- Best for multiple water source– Water Hardness Test Strips
Efficient testing, accurate result, latest color chart and 100 pieces of stripes
- Best for fastest test– Bulk Water Hardness Test Strips
USA based product, 0ppm to 500 ppm testing efficiency
The 10 Best Water Testing Kits of 2021
The testing kits we have chosen are the best in their class and offer instant results rather than sending the result to the laboratory and wait for a week.
In this deep review, we will provide you with detailed information to get the specific one according to your needs.
1. Baldwin stripes for hardness test
Specifications: it is made of plastic material that can determine Total Hardness Ranging from 0-425 mg/l.
- Help to determine if the Water needs treatment or the water conditioner is functioning suitably
- Offer 100 Test strips in one box to ensure continually test for Water at an affordable price
- Reliably identify if the Water needs to be treated with a water conditioner
- Instantly determine the result whether it is soft or hard Water
- Extremely easy to determine
Why we love it
- Test ranges from 0-425 mg/l
- Easy to use
- Offer instant result
- Affordable price
- Ensure continues test
- Don’t offer much information
2. Hach Total Hardness Test Kit
With the repeatable testing ability, this Hach 145300 Total Hardness Test Kit will help you frequently check the water hardness. Thus, you will be aware of any changes in the Water that may happen over time. Besides, this free water test kit is super easy to use to test the water as much as you want. However, the hardness test kit does not test Mg hardness, but its Ca hardness testing ability will help you take action on hard Water while the softener is working properly. Moreover, it offers inexpensive Models 5-B and 5-EP while being available at a reasonable price.
Specification: with 10.4 ounces weight the Hach Total Hardness Test Kit allows testing 100 times. Besides, its range is 1 – 30 gpg CaCO3, and the platform is Drop Count Titration.
- Comes with all necessary equipment including a full reagent set, all required apparatus to ensure a complete test
- Especially design to work with little Water to allow testing easily
- Include the cheap Models 5-B and 5-EP which makes it worthy of investment
- Allow checking the water hardness whenever wants frequently
- Repeatable testing ability helps to be aware of changes in Water
Why we love it
- Include the necessary equipment
- Reasonable price
- Repeatable testing ability
- Included inexpensive Models 5-B and 5-EP
- Different language instruction in the bottle
3. JNW Direct Water Total Hardness Test Strips
Looking for a water hardness test kit that allows getting the result of all types of Water? Try this JNW Direct Water Total Hardness Test Strips. The testing kit is designed to be quick and efficient, and it will make testing your water supply a cinch. Simultaneously, the kit will keep tabs on overall water conditioning and any reverse osmosis systems. As the manufacturer offers simple and clear instructions, so using the kit, you will have Instant, reliable results. It includes 150 strips to test all types of Water in the household for a long time.
Specification: this water hardness test kit features Hardness 0 – 425 ppm & 0 – 25 gpg. Besides, it offers results in just Results in 15 Seconds.
- Allow checking a range of Water including pools, spas, drinking water, and even aquariums
- Help to stay up-to-date on the efficiency of your water softener while preventing hard water buildup
- With clear and concise instruction Free App & Ebook, the testing kit help to test Water easily
- Greatly improve water supply
Why we love it
- Very easy to use
- Up to 150 tests
- Easy to interpret
- Free app
- Free Ebook
- Very basic water-related information
4. Pro Water Hardness Test Kit
If you are looking for long-lasting and high-quality water hardness test kids, look no further than this Pro Water Hardness Test Kit. With quality material, the testing kit helps to test the water softener regularly in a cost-efficient way. However, it included 50 strips, but it allows using of unused strips in the future. Conversely, you can store it for up to 10 months after initial use. Another great feature of this water hardness testing kit is it can measure in both 0-25 GPG and 0-425 PPM, making it ideal for calibrating water softener.
Specification: With 50 Tester Strips in a box, this testing kid offer measurement in both 0-25 GPG and 0-425 PPM.
- With reliable and consistent accuracy, the testing kit offers a simple and convenient way to measure water hardness
- The manufacturer offers Simple and clear instructions which makes it super easy to use
- Allow using the idle strips in future as it remains sound and dry for a larger period
- Help to carry out results up to 10 months after first use
Why we love it
- High-quality testing strips
- Offer reliable results within 30 seconds
- The large color chart on the bottle
- Excellent value
- Don’t offer many strips like other competitors
5. HoneForest Water Quality Tester
Next, we have an advanced digital ppm meter pen that is super accurate, reliable, and easy to use. This HoneForest Water Quality Tester made from Advanced Microprocessor Technology makes it suitable to use for all water quality testing. On the other hand, it’s a handy must-have tool for testing tap water, distilled water, bottled water, and more. With finest-quality titanium alloy probe and dependable automatic temperature compensation, this best water hardness test kit in the UK promises top accuracy results even at different temperatures. Most importantly, designs with a big backlit LCD and auto-lock function make it easy to read and use.
Specification: with a large 0 – 9990 ppm measuring range the water hardness testing kit is 1.62oz (46g) in weight. Besides, its dimension is 6.29 x 1.14 x 0.59 inches.
- Comes with a backlit LCD to allow reading the result easily
- With Auto-Lock Function, the reading can be stabilized in seconds and locked automatically for further use
- Its design withhold function to lock the reading manually
- To offer long-lasting service by conserving battery the water hardness testing kit features Auto-Off mode
- It includes a colorful TDS chart and protective carrying case for easy and convenient use
Why we love it
- Offer accurate result at various temperatures
- Include both auto-lock and manual lock function
- Come with a backlit LCD and protective carrying case
- Poor customer service
6. JNW 7-in-1 Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips
This JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips is an Accurate 7-in-1 Water Testing kit. So, you can use it for seven different parameters including hardness, total chlorine, pH, and cyanuric acid. Simultaneously, it is extremely easy to use as the manufacturer offers simple and clear instructions. As a bonus, this water hardness test meter includes a free app and Ebook that will allow you to record, monitor, and track pool test strip results with ultimate accuracy. Besides, at an affordable price, you will have 100 Strip, which means you will get more chances to test the household water’s hardness.
Specification: this 7 in 1 Swimming Pool Water Testing kit offers 120-425 ideal hardness range and comes with Free App & Ebook.
- With a large color chart on the bottle, the water hardness testing kit offers Instant, reliable results
- Includes free mobile app for monitor and track pool test strip results with the most accuracy
- Provide constant accurate and quick results for any kind of Water, including fresh and saltwater pools, and hot-tubs and spas.
- Offer a great e-book that helps keep clean and crystal-clear water
Why we love it
- 7-in-1 Water Testing kit
- Very easy to use
- Affordable solution
- More strips in one pack
- Offer safe and clear water
- A bit hard to read
7. JNW Direct 15 in 1Drinking Water Test Strips
Another great addition to our list from JNW Direct and this item is suitable for 15 parameters. It means you will have even more results using this Best Water Tester Kit. Considering its quality, you will have more durable spa equipment that is extremely easy to maintain. The container includes 100 strips so you will have more opportunities to maintain healthy and clear Water. However, it’s not a pricy option, but the features will make it even more excellent. Most importantly if you are looking for a complete water analysis test kit for drinking water, you can consider this one.
Specifications: with 3.00 ounces of weight, this safe home water test kit comes with 100 strips in a pack and offer accurate result in just Results in 30 Seconds.
- Suitable to test both saltwater and freshwater pools
- Comes with a great e-book that helps to have purer drinking water
- Offer accurate and fast results and can be used for kids’ science fair projects
- Includes simple and clear instructions that greatly help to get Instant, reliable results
- With its free mobile app, anyone can track or monitor water test strip results with ultimate accuracy
Why we love it
- 15 in 1 water hardness test kit
- Easy to use
- Offer Results in 30 Seconds
- Includes Waterproof Color Chart
- Does not detect Chlorine
8. Well Water Test Kit for Drinking Water
It is the USA made a water testing kit for detecting the bacteria Nitrate and pH management. It is such a wonderful kit that allows you to test the drinking water at home without any scientific experience. If you want to get rid of all critical processing, then a well water test kit would be the best option.
Specification: This testing kit’s complete dimension is 6 x 4.25 x 2.5 inches, and weight are 5 ounces.
It has eight Water contaminates testing parameter for water hardness.
Good efficiency for a plumbing problem, water problem, and detect the pH level.
It has gain popularity for quick testing power within a maximum of five minutes.
The testing kit can accurately show the amount of manganese, nitrate, hydrogen sulfide, hardness and alkalinity.
Why we love it
- The USA based production with EPA standard
- Including a free PDF of the user guide
- Easy and quick result
- You have to test with this kit more than four times in each year.
9. Water Hardness Test Strips
Water hardness test strips bring great news for those who love to use strips instead of a water testing kit. Although it has been said, this strip is made for hardness testing, but it would be worthy of knowing the water softness and water quality. We have wondered that how to hone forest could release such an excellent product with only ten dollars. You can test the Water with this stripe from 0-435 mg/litre.
Specification: The dimension of water hardness strips is 5.16 x 2.11 x 2.11 inches, and the weight is 2.24 Ounces. And stripes color is white.
- This stripe is effective for testing the total hardness of calcium and magnesium level.
- It is made with improved technology which ensures the test accuracy within a very short time.
- It offers to periodically taste all water sources like water pool, fish tank, and drinking water trap.
- Latest color chart feature will help you to distinguish the result.
Why we love it
- Included 100 pieces of hardness testing stripes
- It comes with risk-free money back guaranty features.
- A large package of a total of 100 strips
- Most reliable for an accurate result
- Some consumer has complained about the stripes thickness.
10. Bulk Water Hardness Test Strips
Are you looking for the fastest stripes for water testing? Then you can think about bulk water hardness stripes because it is made for the fastest test within fifteen seconds. At the same time, it is the best reliable due to the original American-made products. We found this stripe highly efficient and fresh from the bag.
Specification: The total dimension of bulk water hardness stripes is 4.49 x 1.5 x 0.31 inches and weight are very light of 0.64 ounces. These stripes package comes with white and light-yellow color.
- A high-quality product from the original USA made material.
- It has a nice feature to compare the grain level of Water contaminates
- Bulk water test stripes can teste the Water from 0ppm to 500 ppm.
- Stripes have come with a fresh bag to ensure striping quality.
Why we love it
- Lightweight stripes easy to access
- The USA made product ensure accuracy.
- Very faster to test and show the result.
- The price is comparatively more than another testing stripes.
Also Read: Why water purifier is important?
How to Measure the Hardness Water
Water hardness means how much calcium and magnesium are included in your water supply. When you can make sure about the water hardness, you can take some precautions to stay safe from risky Water. There have several problems that may occur from water hardness. For example, it might make a spot on the sink and dishes.
Likewise, you have to use more soap to clean dishes if there have hardness in your water supply. Even sometimes water hardness may accumulate a level inside the pipe and block the pipe. Here are four common ways to measure the water hardness
- Measured with the soap
- Using testing stripes
- Using a digital device
Measured with soap:
First of all, take 1 1⁄2 cup water in a glass bottle. It would be best if the bottle glass is transparent. As well as the bottle should have a cap. Now add ten drops of hand wash soap or liquid soap. After then I mixed the Water and soap with squeezing. Then shake the bottle properly. Lastly, let the mixture to settle down for one minute.
You are now observed that the water bottle has some bubble on the top. You have to notice if the bubble amount is about 1 inch. It refers to this Water is soft to use and drink. On the other hand, if you don’t find any foam on the top of the bottle and the water looks cloudy, you have to understand that your Water has a hardness.
Using a digital device:
You will get this device in an online shop or hardware shop. This device has on the button; you have to press it until the display has enlightened with light. Whenever you can see the display light, you can start the test.
Now take a glass of Water and let the end part of the device sink into the Water. Check the display to know the hardness of your Water. If you get a hardness with more than 60 ppm, it indicates the Water’s hardness.
Using testing stripes:
Testing stripes are most available among all other hardness test process. You will get it in any nearby local hardware shop or super shop. Do note that testing kit is made with a specific chemical mixed with the water mineral to find out the hardness.
Hold the stripes into one cup of normal cold Water for a few seconds. Then take it off from the Water and notice on the changing color. You can compare the stripes color with the hardness color chart.
How to determine the water hardness in the aquarium
Water hardness testing in the aquarium is slightly different. So, you need to manage individual testing kit for carbonate and general hardness. KH can measure the alkalinity of tank water. Alkalinity is very harmful to aquarium fish. At the same time, GH measured the amount of calcium and magnesium.
In this test, it needs two test tubes. First of all, take an equal amount of water from the aquarium into both test tubes. Then add a few drops of GH and KH in each test tube.
After then mix the test tubes water with few shakes and observed the water color changing. Lastly, compare the resulted color with the color chart.
What is the ideal water hardness level?
Average all water sources have some hardness which has not any harmful effect on human health. But sometimes, the level of water hardness might increase much, which can be threatening for human health. That is why it is good to know the standard water hardness level.
As per the general guideline of water classification organization, the soft calcium level is 0 to 60 mg/L. And the slightly hard calcium carbonate level is count from 61 to 120 mg/L. Also, the hard level of calcium carbonate amount is 120 to 180 mg/L.
Our water hardness test strips accurate?
Most of the time, water hardness test stripes can show an accurate result. But there might have some different results if the Water will come from multiple water sources. In those cases, you will notice the stripes show one-grain intervals. But all stripes show one gradation if your Water has no problem.
How to use a water hardness test kit?
It is as easier than a kid also can do it. You can use a soap test kit for this hardness testing. Take a water bottle and drop some soap testing kit as you will increase the drops of soap test kit as you understand the water hardness.
Where to buy a hard water test kit
You can buy a hard water test kid from several medical centers, or super shop. However, there has a lot of credible online shops that are selling water hardness testing kits. For example, the Amazon, the spruce, and eBay are some of them.
Best water hardness test kits are a great investment in detecting contaminants in the Water. The products that we mention above are multifunctional and suitable for a variety of purposes. However, suppose you still feel confused about choosing the top one. In that case, our recommendation is Baldwin Meadows Water Test Strips Kit, JNW Direct Water Total Hardness Test Strips, and Hone Forest Water Quality Tester. These all are covered with the highest quality features that will serve you reliable results every time you use them.