Common Question and Answer about Drinking Moldy Water

Common Question and Answer about Drinking Moldy Water

Mold is one kind of fungi that can grow in any place with a lot of moisture for a long time. Although they are not life-threatening, they can cause many kinds of illness. Common question and answer about drinking moldy water we should know to stay fit.

What is water black mold?

Mold is categorized as one kind of fungus.  They grow in moist places like your water bottle. They seem like dark green or black. They grow in abundance on moist walls. They can spread to many places if proper caution is not taken. Although they are not contagious like bacteria or viruses, they should not be welcomed into our environment.

What are the symptoms of drinking moldy water?

There are many kinds of fungus available all around us. Different types of fungus cause different symptoms to human beings. In that case, it is quite difficult to find out why you are sick and how you get your sickness. But still, doctors found some symptoms that relate to black mold water. Patients feel nausea, diarrhea and some kind of breathing problems please stop. Situations can get worse and the patient needs to be hospitalized immediately.

How dangerous is drinking moldy water?

Fungus can spread all over the place where it gets moisture. Although fungus is not as contagious as bacteria or viruses, we need to get rid of it. We can’t say it is too dangerous but sometimes they can cause a lot of trouble to human beings. Taking a little amount of moldy water is alright but if you get a lot of it then it can cause some symptoms to your body. You can get breathing problems along with feeling nauseated for vomiting.

Effects of drinking moldy water

Drinking pure water is a good way to stay healthy. It can keep us away from many diseases both simple or serious. Having moldy water is not welcomed. It is a disgusting habit to drink Black Moldy water. This can create stomach aches, vomit, diarrhea and so on. Dry mold can mix with air and go into your lunch. It can create cough and chest pain.

How long does it take for water to become moldy?

Common mildew & mold can be developed within 24 to 48 hours of water exposure. Actually, it depends on the environment and what type of container is used. It can continue to grow till necessary steps are taken to get rid of the source of moisture. It is difficult to effectively deal with the mold problem sometimes.

How to test your water for mold?

It is difficult to find out whether the water is infected with mold or not. In case of a sufficient amount of mold, you can see it with naked eyes. It is dark greenish or black in color. Take a small amount of sample to the laboratory and they will confirm with you about mold in water. Some quick test kits are also available in the market.

What does moldy water taste like?

Pure water is tasteless. Water can be tested in different ways for different kinds of salts or molds. It is difficult to check why your water tastes different. The possible reason for the taste in your water is mold. It could be like algae that we find in ponds or lakes. During the summer, when there is light from the Sun & plenty of warmth, algae can bloom on the surface of reservoirs, lakes & other water sources.

What happens when I drink moldy water?

Drinking a little amount of moldy water can cause no harm to your body. They will be digested by the acid into the stomach. If you intake a huge amount of moldy water, it can make you sick. Mild symptoms that we can have are vomit, nausea, diarrhea. In the worst case, you may want to call your doctor. Click here for details

What happens if you accidentally drink moldy water?

Always drink pure water from safe water sources. It is difficult to find pure water and stored water can turn dirty if mold grows in it. Drinking moldy water is not good. It is a dangerous habit to drink black moldy water. This causes uneasiness, stomach ache, vomit, diarrhea and so on. Dry mold can create cough and chest pain.

Is it safe to drink moldy water?

No, it is not safe to drink moldy water. It is recommended that you should always drink clean and safe water. When we store water for a couple of days, mold can grow in the water bottle. This can create some serious consequences. From mild to serious illness can occur. It is also harmful for our pets and children. Therefore, it is wise not to intake moldy water voluntarily.

Is green mold in water bottles dangerous?

For sunlight’s frequent penetration, algae can easily grow which is green in color perceived on the bottle, pond, lake and even sea. They are harmless & not poisonous. A number of species of the algae were studied for possible food sources for their efficiency at trapping sunlight in a given area.

What happens if you eat mold while pregnant?

Mold that grows on bread has penicillin in it. If moldy bread at the beginning of pregnancy is eaten,  it would not hurt you or the fetus. But prolonged exposure to black mold can affect the physical growth of a fetus. Some maternal allergies to black mold exposure can lead to serious damages to the growing fetus. Brain damage and problems with the respiratory system can occur.

Also Read : Is Black Mold in Water Bottles Dangerous?

Can moldy water make you sick?

Yes, drinking moldy water can make us sick. It is not safe to drink moldy water. You should always drink clean & safe water. At the time of storing water for a couple of days, mold grows in the water bottle. It sometimes creates consequences. Mild to serious illness may occur. They are harmful for our pets & children. It is wise not to intake moldy water voluntarily.

Can drinking mold harm you?

Yes, drinking moldy water can harm us. Don’t drink moldy water. Always have clean & safe water. When keeping water for some days, fungus grows in the water bottle. It creates problems. Serious illness may occur in some cases. They are also harmful for our pets and children.

Can you die from drinking mold?

No, you’re not going to die by eating mold. Humans can digest it like any other food. If you have a  healthy immune system, you’ll experience some nausea or vomiting due to the idea of what you’ve eaten. Consult with a physician if the situation is worse. But this doesn’t happen often.

How long does it take for black mold to kill you?

Actually, black mold can’t just kill somebody. Spores of black mold can take hold in places with insufficient ventilation & high humidity in less than 24 hours. This starts when people inhale these spores. They can produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins. That can produce an immune response in some individuals.

What kills water mold?

Several products can be used to kill & remove mold. Effective products that kill mold are Ammonia, baking soda, Tea tree oil, Borax, Hydrogen peroxide, Bleach, Grapefruit seed extract, Vinegar, Detergent, and so on. These types of products are effective in killing mold. They are only efficient when the first signs of mold grow. To eliminate the mold you see, eliminate the source of the moisture.

How to remove mold from plastic drinking bottles?

Cleaning mold is difficult. The situation is worse when it’s made of plastic. It is worse when the water bottle is narrow. Clean the water bottle with bleach. Mix one teaspoon of bleach with one teaspoon of baking soda in the water bottle. Fill the rest with water. Use the baking soda & bleach solution to scrub the cap also.


Common questions and answers about drinking moldy water were stated clearly, as detailed as possible. We can see that it’s not that difficult to control black mold from drinking. Take steps to get rid of all. Otherwise, it could lead to other illnesses too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *